Effects of Radiation

Posted in Treatment by

Somehow I’ve managed to completely ignore the blog world during the last 2 months. I mean, I’ve already gone back to work, started & finished radiation, AND Christmas is coming to an end. There’s been so many stories, feelings and venting that I could’ve written about been during the last few weeks, but my desire to write was pretty much non-existent. So for now, the only thing that makes sense to write about is where I am in this whole C thing. Here it goes…..

Effects of radiation – it’s not pretty

Radiation during the last 5 weeks was OK. It wasn’t horrible and it wasn’t pleasant . My last treatment was exactly a week ago tomorrow. I managed to make it through the first 4 weeks with little to no physical discomfort or skin reactions. But exactly 2 days before my last treatment my skin started reacting to the radiation by peeling. And underneath was raw, pink and getting worse as the days go on. I can’t really sleep on my right side and at night is when I have the most discomfort. My ribs are sore on the radiated side which I hear is suppose to last anywhere from 1-6 months. I’ve been pretty much lathering up with Aquaphor every couple of hours and depending on what I’m wearing I have to put these gauze like pads on my skin. Unfortunately, the worst area is right underneath my arm. It’s constantly being rubbed up against something whether its my own arm, bra or clothing. The worse was when I wore  a dress with a zipper on the side. UGH. The doctor said it gets worse before it gets better. This is definitely one of the worse effects of radiation that I’ve had to deal with.

Tired. Fatigue. Sleepy.

These are just some other adjective to describe how radiation has affected me. Yesterday (Christmas Eve) was probably one of the worse days where fatigue set in. First, I went to work, then rushed home to change for what would be the first stop of many throughout the day. We had Christmas Eve lunch at Justin’s Uncles house. As always, we had a good time and we left feeling happy and full. Then we went to my uncle’s house , then his Mom’s house. Doing all this with radiation fatigue and a 4 yr old can be a bit challenging. I was so tired by 6pm! We didn’t get home until 10pm and then we stayed up wrapping the “Santa” gifts and getting everything ready for Christmas morning.

Geez, this post isn’t that positive but I will end it with saying this – I’ve never appreciated family time during the holidays as much as I have this year. It was nice to go through the holidays knowing that I was cancer free. Now, I just need to make sure it stays that way. That is a whole other post for another day. Just not today. With that I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and pray for happiness and health to all my family and friends. Looking forward to a relaxing day tomorrow. Maybe I’ll stay in PJ’s all day. Maybe.

My parents, sister and I on Christmas Eve.

My parents, sister and I on Christmas Eve.

My little punkin on Christmas morning.

My little punkin on Christmas morning.

I was outside of Toys R Us at 6:45am to get a ticket for the Doc McStuffens Care Center. No this wasn’t on black Friday or the weekend after Thanksgiving. This was just a normal Sunday morning in December. Apparently this was one of the “hot” toys this season. The best thing is that I got it for only $59.99 since they price matched with Target.

December 26, 2013
Previous Post Next Post

No comments

  • Reply Ann Shephard

    We loved seeing all of you on Christmas Eve – I am so glad it’s a tradition!!! (Someone looks very happy with her Doc McStuffin Santa gift……love you all – Merry Christmas!!! xoxoxo

    December 28, 2013 at 3:10 am
    • Reply pinklemonsandrainbows

      Luv you guys too! I love our tradition too 🙂 Thank you for everything! xoxo

      December 28, 2013 at 4:27 am

    Leave a Reply to pinklemonsandrainbows Cancel reply

    You may also like

    %d bloggers like this: